Archive | March 2014

Onto the Next Project . . .

I have to hand sew the binding on my Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt before it is completely finished, but first had to lay out the Bonnie Hunter 2013 Leader & Ender Challenge blocks I sewed last fall. There are many designs these blocks could make, but I decided to go with the original Perkiomen Valley design.


This lay out is 12 x 14 blocks (72″ x 84″). I had planned to sew borders on the center, but now I’m reconsidering. I will piece more blocks and add another round of the design which will make it 84″ by 96″. I will decide then if I want to add a narrow border, or, if I want to add more blocks to make it 96″ by 108″ (king size). I’m liking the looks of pieced quilts without borders.

Of course, the beauty of this quilt is enhanced by my almost two-year-old grandson.



The Quilting is Completed!

I finished the hand quilting today on the Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt! I started this English paper piecing project in 2006. Much of the fabric in the flowers came from my mother’s stash.


Someone asked me how many hexagons there are in the quilt; there are 1,970. I haven’t figured the amount of diamonds and triangles. I will share more details and information after I have finished the binding.

Pea Planting Time!

Today is St. Patrick’s Day and time to get those peas in the garden!

This is what my garden looked like last Wednesday, just five days ago.

IMG_3910The sticks mark the east side of the garden. They are there so my husband doesn’t drive in the garden.

This is what my garden looks like today.


The snow is melting; now it’s a muddy mess. The garlic is starting to peek through the sawdust mulch and so are the weeds!

There won’t be any peas planted here today, but the sun is shining brightly and tomorrow the temperature is supposed to get to 50*. Maybe in a couple of weeks I’ll be able to plant the peas.

Winter’s Last Blast?

Here are photos of  the trees with the snow we received overnight.

This is the old maple on the west side of the driveway. . .


the trees on the west side of the heifer pasture. . .


and the burning bush on the corner of our house.


Looking straight south from our porch toward Grandpa Weaver’s house.


The temperature later this week is supposed to be 45* and then it the snow will disappear, except for the drifts.


I’m participating in “Buck-A-Block” at Caroline’s Cotton Cottage. It’s not a challenge, it’s really another BOM project for 2014.

There were 3 choices of fabrics: asian, batik or civil war. I chose civil war and I like it even though there is pink in the fabric! Every month I get a kit with fabric and a pattern. The finished quilt will be 48″ x 54″.

Here are the blocks I’ve made for January and February.


I am making a second project with these same patterns, using brown and blue civil war fabrics from my stash. I’m making 2 blocks of each pattern so I will have a full size quilt when it is completed


Hand Quilting

I am an old-fashioned hand quilter and here is my method.

I use quilt “stands” and “sticks”. The stands were built by my father years ago and this is what they look like. The stands support the sticks.


The quilt sticks have fabric attached along the edge. I pin the backing fabric (some people hand baste) to the sticks and lay the batt on top. I pin the quilt top through the batt and into the backing fabric.

Here is my Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilting project.


I normally hand baste along the edge of the quilt top after I have the top pinned in. The hand basting will keep pleats from forming when I sew the binding on.

I didn’t use that method with this top. If you look closely, you ┬ácan see that I basted in several inches from the edge. When I appliqued the flower garden onto the border fabric, I wasn’t sure how wide I was going to make the border. Once I had appliqued the top to the border, I could determine the width of my border and marked it. That is why my basting is several inches from the edge. That is where I will sew my binding.

I use clamps to hold the sticks together. I like to put the clamps upside down so the handle isn’t sticking up to get in the way and to catch my thread.

The one side has been “rolled” many times. I just started quilting on the opposite side Friday and have “rolled” twice when I took this picture.

I very “lightly mark” my quilt tops with a silver pencil. “Lightly mark” is very important! The pencil marks won’t show after being quilted unless you look very closely.

I didn’t mark the hexagon blocks. I’m just eyeing the quarter inch quilting mark and doing the best I can.