Archive | July 2014

Pumpkinvine Block of the Month

There hasn’t been much time for sewing in July. The farmer is going to be gone several days in August, maybe I can get some sewing time in then.

I did manage to get the Pumpkinvine BOM center sewn together.


I like it better than I did before since the center is sewn. Now I need to sew 28 half stars for the next border.


Garden Harvests

The garlic has been harvested. I dug the cloves with a fork and cut off the tops. Then they were washed in water and the top layer of paper was peeled off. After drying in the sun, they are now drying in the garage on a cloth. I will leave them there for several weeks. It was a pretty good harvest.

IMG_4424This is a 2 gallon pail of garlic, it couldn’t hold all of the harvest. After the garlic has dried, I’ll select the 20 largest heads to  be saved for planting this fall. I always save garlic for the cooking I use and give the rest away.

The green beans have been growing and I have been freezing them for winter.


We are eating the the potatoes.

IMG_4433Over 40  3/4quart boxes (or 3 cup boxes) of broccoli are in the freezer.

IMG_4446The onion stalks have fallen over and are ready to be harvested.


Not Fussy Cut

I didn’t get enough of this fabric to have 6 repeats, but I wanted to use it anyway. Here it is, an unfussy cut star.



Unloading the Hay Wagons

We use a hay elevator to unload the hay wagons.


I place the bales on the chute. The chute has sides which straightens the bale and correctly places it on the chain. If it isn’t placed correctly, the chain comes off the track and that is a nuisance. (That is Taryn in the window)


The chain has teeth which catch the bale and pulls it up to the hay mow where the farmer stacks the hay.



This hay mow is full! It will be used to feed heifers this winter.

IMG_4418An inside view of the haymow.



Two Finishes!

Last week I had some time to sew bindings on two quilts that were returned to me in June. They were both machine quilted by Sherryl Tobias, Nappanee, Ind.

Normally when I sew bindings, I sew the binding on the front, turn to the back and hand sew it to the backing. Not this time. I sewed the bindings on the back, turn to the front and machine stitched them in place. Wow, what a time saver!

The first quilt is a kit I purchased several years ago, “Let it Snow” designed by Edyta Sitar, Laundry Basket Quilts. I pieced the top at my guild retreat in February.

IMG_4439And a view of the quilting from the backside.


The backing fabric of the “Let it Snow” quilt is black. I don’t know why it looks gray. I guess it’s just one of life’s mysteries.

The Zippy Strippey quilt I pieced at the Dear Jane Retreat in April. I think I’ll make another one some day.


And the view of the quilting on the back of the quilt.


Two finishes, what a great feeling of accomplishment.


Fussy Cut Friday




It’s a Heifer!

Rozlynn gave birth to a nice heifer last week and I took some photos.

Just born . . .


Dam & daughter time . . .


In her own pen now.


For the guernsey breeders who follow the blog: the calf is sired by Mar Ral Tiller Marksman and Rozlynn is a TH Allstar daughter out of Villa Crest I Rebekah.