Quilting Jane, Row I

I hope my posts about quilting my Jane Stickle quilt aren’t getting too boring; quilting Jane is my main focus project. Row I is now completed and the yards of thread used is 313. As always, click on each picture to enlarge.

IMG_0043LST5 and block I1. I paperpieced the little triangle in the point of LST5. The 9-patches of I1 are stitched in the ditch and curvy square in the blue squares.

IMG_0042Blocks I2, I3 and I4. All 3 of these blocks are stitched in the ditch.


IMG_0041Blocks I5 and I6. Stitch in the ditch for I5, stitch in the ditch and a little outline ditch for I6. I did a different background design for a change.

IMG_0040Blocks I7, I8 and I9. Stitched in the ditch for all 3 of the blocks. Now block I7 is supposed to have 4 teeny-tiny triangles in the blue sashing but I left them off. This was before I had decided to start appliquing circles. I’ve made a note to remind myself, when the quilt is finished and out of the frame, to applique 4 teeny-tiny circles on this block. I’m not talented enough to applique them while the quilt is in the frame. I could try it, but I don’t think they’d look very nice.

IMG_0039Blocks I10, I11 and I12. Just added some quilted triangles to I10 along with stitch in the ditch. I11 is all stitched in the ditch while I added circles in the center of I12 along with stitching in the ditch.

IMG_0038Blocks I13 and RST9. More stitch in the ditch.


IMG_0047I’ve rolled enough times that I am able to move the bottom quilt stick and put the rest of the quilt in the frame. Now I’m quilting feathers again. When I started quilting Jane, it was fun and exciting to finally start and I enjoyed quilting the feathers on the outside border. Now the feathers are rather boring to quilt but they need to be finished before I can quilt anymore of the inside.

IMG_0055Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep? This happened to me the other night so I got up and finished pressing the 4-patch blocks I had sewn. There are more blocks than what show in the picture.

IMG_0056After they were pressed, IMG_0058I started laying them on my design wall. I want this to be a simple and quick quilt. I normally like quilts that are set on point the best, but I’m liking the straight set. What do you think? The blocks will finish at 8″ finished and there will be more colors than pink and green.

Linking up to Esther’s Wednesday Wow, Freshly Pieced WIP’s, My Quilt Infatuation NIT, A Quilting Reader’s Garden, Richard and Tanya’s Quilts, Kathy’s Slow Stitching SundayOh Scrap, Love Laugh Quilt, Patchwork TimesCooking Up Quilts and Quilt Story.

Whoops, I hit the wrong button. I didn’t intend to send this post until Wednesday. Oh well.



Cherry Blossom Quilt


Summer is flying by and it is a very busy time here on the farm, but I have made some time for sewing.

IMG_5458I’m well on the way to recovering from my Jane burnout. I’ve progressed from just sewing strips together, to sewing the 3″ finished 9-patch blocks I pieced last winter into double 9-patches . . . 42 double 9-patches. These are block A for the Cherry Blossom Quilt.

IMG_5463I’ve pieced the centers for the IMG_5464
for the 30 B blocks. One inch finished HST’s are to be attached next. I have the Thangles ready to sew but it is going to take a while to sew the 600 HST’s needed.

The Cherry Blossom Quilt pattern was designed by Karen H. and you can find the pattern on her blog, Click on Patterns by Karen H. (She asks that links go directly to her blog.) She has some very pretty patterns she has designed.

The bindings are completed for the 4 little quilts I’ve quilted this summer.

IMG_5418The little Snowman Quilt is a kit I bought a year ago at the Red Button Quilt  Co. booth during the Grand Rapids AQS show in August. He measures 16 1/2″ x 19 1/2″. The middle two were projects from the Prairie Women Sewing Circle, year 3. I especially like the cheddar flange binding on the cheddar and black quilt. The cheddar/black quilt measures 25″ x 29 1/2″. I thought the next quilt was red and black but now I see the red doesn’t stand out as much as I thought it would. I should have added a red flange to the binding. The red/black size is 21″ x 25″. The right quilt was a free pattern from the Temecula Quilt Co. called the 12 Days of Christmas. He measures 18″ x 22″.

IMG_5419The backsides of the 2 left quilts. Both were hand quilted.






IMG_5420And the 2 quilts hanging on the right side. The left one was hand quilted and the right quilt was stitched on my sewing machine. I was too lazy to attach the even feed foot to my machine so it is not smooth. But that just makes it an interesting texture.



IMG_5471I decided I was going to use purple fabrics to piece the Seeing Stars BOM by Turning Twenty. I had planned to use a mixture of regular fabrics and batiks but when I started looking, I decided to go with just batiks. It’s amazing what beautiful fabrics we can find in our stashes if we just look. Some of the batiks look blue but have some purple shading in them.

Seeing Stars is a 6 month BOM with 2 patterns coming a month. I’ve downloaded the first 4 patterns but I’ll wait to start until I have the next 2 patterns. I’ll have a busy week of piecing the blocks, then put it all away until I have the rest of the patterns. BOM’s are fun but they get too draggy sometimes, at least it seems that way to me. I’m more of a get ‘er done sort of person.

IMG_5472The 1-1/2″ strips I have been sewing are sewn. Now I’m sub-cutting them into twosies. It doesn’t take long, I use my mat with the 1/2″ slits, then I’ll sew them together and make 4-patches. This is going to be a very slow, very long-term piecing project. After I get the 4 patches pieced, I’ll decide what is next. I have several possibilities I’m turning over in my mind.

Linking up with Esther’s Wednesday WOW! and My Quilt Infatuation NTT and A Quilting Reader’s Garden.