I am moving right along on Jane and row J is now completed.
Blocks J5, J6 and J7. I looked in the Dear Jane book to see how Jane quilted blocks J6 and J7. She quilted them both alike but I didn’t want two blocks quilted exactly the same next to each other. She had quilted an X in the 9-patch block in J6, but I stitched the seams in the ditch. For J7, I quilted the curvy squares in the solid white squares and stitched in the ditch for the 9-patches.
Blocks J10, J11 and J12. Stitched in the ditch around the melons in J10 and quilted melons in the center. When I pieced this block, I had appliqued the white melons that are supposed to be in the center. I didn’t like the way they looked so I took them off. I used the Baptiste Fan stencil for background in J11 and just had straight line background in J12.
As always, click on the picture to enlarge.
272 yards of thread used to date. When I started quilting Jane, I really had no idea how many yards of thread I would use. I actually thought Jane might break the 1000 yard barrier but I don’t anticipate that happening now. The most yards of thread I have quilted in a quilt is 759. That was a king size I custom quilted many years ago.
The center of the Cherry Blossom quilt is sewn together. I’ve added a reddish/brown fabric for a narrow border. For the outside border, Karen H. (click on patterns by Karen H.) added a plain fabric border but I’m not going to do that. I want a pieced border. I’ve been mulling over 3 possibilities for the border, none of which I’ve ever pieced before. I’m going to put Cherry Blossoms away until I decide which border to piece.
I leave for the Jane Stickle Quilt Retreat five weeks from today, I need to get busy and prep the projects I want to work on there!